PennDOT – District 4 News
PennDOT will be Implementing a Tier 1 Restriction on Interstates Tonight in District 4
Dunmore, PA– Due to the severity of the upcoming winter storm, PennDOT will be temporarily restricting certain vehicles on interstates beginning tonight, Monday, February 27, 2023, at 7:00 PM.
Vehicle restrictions reflect Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan (PDF), and will be in effect on the following roadways:
- Interstate 81 beginning at the I-84 interchange in Dunmore, Lackawanna County to the New York state line in Susquehanna County; and Interstate 84 in Lackawanna, Wayne, and Pike counties.
Under Tier 1 restrictions, the following vehicles are not permitted on affected roadways:
- Tractors without trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers, or tank trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or lightly loaded tandem trailers;
- Enclosed unloaded or lightly loaded cargo delivery trucks/box trucks that meet the definition of a CMV;
- Passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc.) towing trailers;
- Recreational vehicles/motorhomes;
- School buses, commercial buses, and motor coaches; and
The purpose of the restriction is to help ensure the interstates remain open during the most challenging winter storm conditions. When conditions improve, PennDOT will remove the travel restrictions.
Although PennDOT crews are treating roadways, the department’s primary goal is to keep roads passable, not completely free of ice and snow. PennDOT will continue to treat roadways throughout the storm until precipitation stops and roads are clear.
While PennDOT recommends not traveling during winter storms, motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne, and Wyoming counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District4.
Information about infrastructure in District 4, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D4Results.